10 March 2006

PC Police

Regardless of what others may say, I believe the US has the best internal race relations in the world. Obviously there are still a lot of crusty old racists around, but you have to admit that in many cases Americans stand arm in arm—descendants of Africans, Asians, Europeans, and Latin Americas—all “proud to be an American, where at least [they] know [they’re] free.” Granted, this quasi-nationalism and superiority complex creates a poor image of America around the world, but it really isn’t really nationalism—America is not one nation, in fact we are almost to the point were no one race (an even broader grouping of people) is the majority anymore. In America, citizenship is more important than nationality—in fact, I suspect some of my audience doesn’t even understand the distinction as they read this. Meanwhile, within 100 miles of me, there are Bulgarians, Romanians, Serbs, Macedonians, Albanians, Greeks, and Turks who probably all believe their nationality is superior, and over the centuries these groups have slaughtered each other over slivers of real estate. Seriously, even today, many point to the maximum extent of their historical borders (which, of course overlap) and say, “actually this belongs to us too.” Even in the more “advanced” west, Chris told me that in Belgium there is still a simmering animosity between the Dutch-speaking Flemish people and the French-speaking Walloons.

On the gender front, American men may not be perfect gentlemen, but they simply aren’t allowed to express a lot of the macho b.s. that is common elsewhere. I understand the anti-harassment and political correctness hysteria in the US goes overboard, but I think that if I were raising a daughter, I would prefer a more supportive environment (then again, girls here learn to stand up for themselves.) I say this after hearing some expats yesterday talking about how they’re glad they don’t live in the US and don’t have to self-censor their speech. I bristle at the label “feminist,” but again, I ask myself how would I feel if I had a daughter.

I certainly welcome any discussion—drop me a comment if you think I’m niave, a complete idiot, or if you agree with me.

I say all that to introduce the picture below. This is a package of cookies I saw at the grocery store yesterday; the name roughly translates to “Little Negro.” Now—come on—could you sell this product anywhere in the US anymore with this name & artwork on the box?

Negurche cookies

I'll let you know if the "assorted biscuits" were tasty as they look; come on, you knew I had to buy them—they're just so deliciously politically incorrect!

[UPDATE] Wow, I hit on a hot topic; check out the comments I got! To the anonymous Arab commenter: yeah, you're right; much of this brotherly, multi-cultural America stand united...against the Arab & Muslim world. The new kid on the block always has it hard; in WWII it was the Japanese. But is it much different in Europe? Look at France.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... I liked your comment, but as an Arab I feel that i disagree with what you said... I have a lot of Arab-American relatives who are getting harrassed in the US merely for having an Arab nationality... I know of a case where a woman called the cops cause her Arab neighbor invited her for coffee... Furthermore, why did the UAE DP ports deal fail if the Americans weren't racists? 90% of containers enter the US unchecked, but the problem is with an ARAB company managing 6 ports in the States? And it's not like it's Syria or Iran that is managing the ports, it's the UAE, one of the most allied countries to the US and one of the supporters of the war on terror... Maybe i'm deviating a bit away from the theme of your blog but the DP ports deal was the first thing i thought about when i read it...
Regards...

Anonymous said...

Well, you are not an idiot at all. It has always been a "hot" topic to talk about these things.And it reminds me on my American Studies at my first college, especially on those cultural lectures where we learnt about different nations living in the US in their own small communities(like Italians, French, German, etc.), but being all American (we called it the melting pot or salad bowl idea, where everybody is different, but still belongs to something common- i.e. their origin may not be the same, but still they are all Americans). Interestingly, in Hungary it's not the same with our main "minority", the gypsies. They are never called and will never be called Hungarians. And I also know that people usually associate bad things with gypsies, like they all steal, and don't want to work, but that is not true for ALL the gypsies, because for example they have a talent in playing music, and there are many famous gypsy musicians and singers. And I also have some gypsy friends who are really nice people :o)

And on the point of believing who's superior, the past weekend I saw a documentary about the attempt of Stauffenberg to assassinate Hitler. The film itself was about the reasons why the Allies didn't give support to the German "rebels", and there were some reasons of being superior and gaining or fearing to lose territory , and not thinking of how many people were suffering from the war itself...
And thinking of territory also another thought comes into my mind...the Hungarians who live outside the borders of Hungary (of whom I think sometimes are much more Hungarians than we - Hungarians living in Hungary - are, as they can really keep together. But there was a case last year, when the they came up with the idea of giving Hungarian identity cards for those Hungarians who live outside the borders of Hungary. It was interesting, because some people came up with the thoughts that than those Hungarians would all come to Hungary and take away the jobs and the social rights from us, so the Hungarian identity card was not even born. But think about what those poor people thought at the other side of the border - atrocity from the people of the country, the territory of which they were living, and not being accept by their fellow Hungarians,although they just wanted nothing (i.e. they didn't want to come to Hungary at all) but being appreciated as Hungarians. :o( Well, that was a big shame. Our law teacher also said that time that he didn't understand why it could happen as no one can take away our basic social rights.

Well, gender problems: maybe American guys are not perfect gentlemen, but I personally don't like when someone is having too much macho traits, e.g. I don't like those "think I'm hot but I'm not" type of guys, who are obsessed with their looks, and think that with money, flowers, etc, they can buy us, or that at least they can make us to have sex (ok, I'm not against sex, but if a guy wants only that thing from me and is not interested in my personality, then I am not really glad, because I know that he will only handle me as if I were an object, but not as a human being) with them (and after reaching their goals usually they leave (no more emails, no more phone calls, no more dates) and try to hunt for some other victims- unfortunately I have met that kind of guys). And sometimes it's just good when an email comes from the guy I like asking of what I did over the weekend or saying that he thought about me when he saw something related to Hungary. I know that these are only simple things, but more important for me than for example a flower or inviting me to a fancy restaurant, because I can feel that somehow (I don't know what extent) I am important for him.

Back to macho traits just an example from my own life: there are many guys like my Dad in Hungary and the countries in the neighborhood. Actually my Dad is a typically macho. He is an alcoholic, and he just left me when I needed him. He was continuously cheating on my Mum and when I was 8, they divorced. As a child I really liked my Dad, so when he left, that was such a shock for me, that I just didn't want to talk for days, I was just sitting in my room crying....
So all in all I would not like a macho father for my children in the future (provided that I'll have any...)

Plus, we also have gender problems at workplaces as well (and not just Western Europe), as males still have better positions and better salaries. Although the EU created the initiative, EQUAL to reduce the differences and give chances for the female workforce as well. This week I heard in the news, that from the newly joined members of the EU Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are the best, they have the most female leaders :o)


And for last but not least: things like skin colour or origin can NEVER be a point of discrimination or judging people for me. Also the same with political points of view - an example for that is my best friend, Melinda, as things like these will never ruin our good friendhip.

Huh, long comment, and maybe at some points I might not seem to be clear and understandable, but it was so good to type here all my thoughts.

Anyway, thank you for adding my blog to your friend's but please correct my name to Emese. Thanks and I wish you all a good weekend ;o)

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I randomly ran into your blog, I saw that you mentioned "could you sell this product anywhere in the US anymore with this name & artwork on the box." Im Bulgarian and I was taught that the 'N' word means a black person, simple as that, and most people are raised the same way. In Bulgaria that word merely means a darker skin. I guess to each culture his own. Its not meant to offend anyone. In the US it means otherwise though. When I was growing up in the US, and used that word to talk about a black person, my mother would yell at me because we found out here, its a bad word. So, when we have family and friends come here and see a black person, because we dont or didnt used to have a lot of dark skinned people in Bulgaria, it was different to see one here, and if they say the 'N' word, we would warn them not to use it and they question it. We explain that here its a bad meaning, unlike in Bulgaria. So we call them "pechki" or in Bulgarian meaning "stove" like in the old days when they were black and ashy. We just thought of another word since the other is offensive.

Ex:
http://www.endtimesreport.com/pictures/stanley-stove.jpg
http://www.jimbeamclub.com/pictorials/brooks/misc/stove.jpg

Im not arguing just so you know, just informing you more about Bulgaria. ^_^ Good luck learning the language, cause its just as hard to try and not to forget it.

Take Care,

Iva~